Livingston MP Graeme Morrice is supporting National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.
The campaign, run by the charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness and held during the week 18-24 November, aims to raise awareness among the public of the danger of carbon monoxide posing in the home and workplace.
This year, there has been a sharp increase in the amount of carbon monoxide incidents. The charity predicts that we can expect even more deaths and injuries from this silent killer in the future if action is not taken now.
Many people still don't know enough about the dangers of carbon monoxide to make sure they and their family stay safe from this invisible killer.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless highly toxic gas that is produced by the incomplete combustion of any hydrocarbon fuel, such as coal, charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, natural gas and liquid petroleum gas (LPG).
The popular misconception is that CO is only produced by the incomplete combustion of natural gas and if householders don't use natural gas/have a gas boiler they are totally safe. This just isn't true.
The aim of National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week is to:
• Raise awareness about the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide.
• Ensure the public are aware that hydrocarbon fuel (charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, natural gas, liquid petroleum gas/LPG) appliances need to be serviced every year.
• Encourage householders to fit a carbon monoxide alarm and in the correct place.
• Promote the charity's free carbon monoxide Android Phone App and new website – http://covictim.org/
Graeme Morrice MP said:
“Carbon Monoxide remains the biggest cause of accidental death by poisoning in the UK.
“I am supporting Charity’s 8th National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week because I believe we need to do more to prevent these deaths and injuries from happening.
“The Government should support the charity so it can take its message to all those in need of advice or support”.
Lynne Griffiths set up the charity over eight years ago, after she and her family suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning for over a decade. She said:
“It is shocking that despite living in the ‘information age’ people still don't realise that carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless highly toxic gas that can kill in under three minutes.
“People can help protect themselves by making sure they and their families have all their fuel burning appliances serviced every year. Their chimney swept once or twice a year and by installing a carbon monoxide alarm in the correct place in their home, caravan or boat”.